Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction

=

Koth of the Hammer: "The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps."

Later...

Jace the Mindsculptor: What now?

Koth of the Hammer: What now? Let me tell you "what now". I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hitting niggas to go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. [to Giddeon] You hear me talking, hillbilly boy?! I ain't through with you by a damn sight! I'm gonna get medieval on your ass!

Jace: I meant, what now between me and you.

Koth: Oh, that "what now". I tell you what now between me and you. There is no "me and you". Not no more.

Jace: So we cool?

Koth: Yeah, we cool. Two things: one, don't tell nobody about this. This shit is between me, you, and Mr. soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain rapist here. It ain't nobody else's business. Two, you leave town tonight, right now, and when you gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. You lost all your L.A. privileges. Deal?

Jace: Deal.

Koth of the Hammer has no home.

This is a travesty. He's so awesome. He swings games when he comes down. He's in a color that can protect him. He makes cards around him so much better.

However, like Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction, he's getting screwed in the butt. (This analogy works because Ving and Koth kinda look alike...Huge black guys right?)

Koth likes him some mid-range Red decks. The problem is, the T2 format doesn't support mid-range all that well right now. How does a slower red deck deal with a resolved JaceTMS? How does any mid-range deck deal with that guy anyway? I mean, short of Mana Leak and playing Baby Jace and your own JTMS there really aren't many answers. Aggro decks like RDW and WW/Quest work out because they "do their thing" before Jace can matter, and they aren't even that good against him once he comes down unless they have enough dudes to swing into him and make shit happen. It is a sad day when a brother can't get an O-Ring...

You guys know I'm a mid-range player. I was playing Jund with Sprouting Thrinax at Regionals before Sprouting Thrinax was good. I loved that deck. So mindless. So elegant. Blightning>BBE>Blightning oops I win? Man I loved that shit. I loved Madness too. Remember the shinanigans of that deck? I even played it in Extended. But enough about my love of mid-range dominated formats.

The second best planeswalker in Standard needs a home. I say second best knowing that he's really the third best. The "real" second best planeswalker doesn't count. Jace Beleren reads:

Seal of Jace
UU1
Legendary Enchantment
Whenever Seal of Jace enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Sacrifice Seal of Jace: Destroy target Jace, the Mindsculptor.

That is pretty good actually. He gets the honor of being the second best planeswalker because they didn't reprint Oblivion Ring.

BUNK!

I know MBS is gonna give Koth some stuff. Wizards will want to support him. Tezzeret is going to push U/B beyond reachability no matter what his abilities are, so long as he's less than 6 mana to cast. However, my big black brother is also going to find a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment